Friday, October 23, 2009

David Fokos replied Today




David Fokos

to me
show details 12:55 AM (6 hours ago)
Hi Joyce,

I apologize for the late reply -- I only now have seen your message.

First of all, thank you for your kind word regarding my work -- it is much appreciated.

In answer to your questions... all of those images were made with my 80-year old 8x10 Korona View camera using a 210mm Rodenstock Sironar-S lens on Kodak Tri-X film developed in HC-110.

The smooth water shots like Tide Pool and Missing rail were exposures of about 2 minutes. Black Gate was about 90 seconds. Foggy Night was a 10-minute exposure and Moonrise was 3 seconds (any longer and the moon would not have been round). All shots, except Moonrise were made at f45 or f64, often with neutral density filters. I had to open up the aperture a bit for Moonrise since it was dark and the exposure was short -- that is why the foreground is a little bit blurry on that shot.

Since I am using 8x10 film, grain is not much of an issue except on Moonrise where because I knew that I had underexposed the negative (a compromise that had to be made in order to keep the exposure to 3 seconds and still have enough depth of field) I increased the development time from 5 minutes to 30 minutes and then I put the negative in a selenium toner bath to add a bit more density. These drastic steps increased the grain in that negative and it can be seen in the sand and the water. Fortunately, grainy sand is not too much of a problem.

I Hope this helps!

Best regards,
David

No comments:

Post a Comment